House of Lanvin
(French, founded 1889)
Designer: Jeanne Lanvin (French, 1867–1946)
Date: spring/summer 1935
Dimensions: Length at CB (a): 37 1/2 in. (95.3 cm) Length at CB (b): 59 1/2 in. (151.1 cm)
Jeanne Lanvin was apprenticed to a milliner and a dressmaker before opening her own millinery shop in 1889. She expanded into dressmaking when her clients began asking for the ensembles in which she adorned her daughter, Marguerite di Pietro (1897-1958).
Marguerite di Pietro (1897-1958)
Her style embodied the femininity of youth in a most modern way with meticulous and relatively sparse surface embellishments and robe de style silhouettes, which could be worn by women of all ages. Lanvin’s aptitude can be seen through her house’s 1920s expansion into fur, lingerie, men’s wear, household goods and perfume. She even had the forethought to open her own dye factory which produced the inimitable ‘Lanvin blue.’ The longevity of the House of Lanvin can be credited to her attentive management and design standards from its inception.
This kimono-style dress expresses Lanvin’s interests in combining cultures in her designs. She was an avid collector of inspiration pieces from across her own country as well as other countries and continents, with many extant garments and prints from Japan. The influence these pieces played on her designs can be seen throughout her body of work.
Photo : metmuseum.org
- Lanvin Debuts Jeanne Lanvin Couture Fragrance (shoppingblog.com)
- #ThrowbackFashion Evening Ensemble, 1968 by Madame Grès (Alix Barton) (French, Paris 1903 – 1993 Var region) (duccnguyen.wordpress.com)
- Lanvin Resort 2015 Collection (getmybuzzup.com)
- Lanvin Puts Its Stamp on Men’s Running Shoes (thefashionisto.com)
- #ThrowbackFashion Evening Ensemble, 1956 by House of @Givenchy (French, founded 1952) (duccnguyen.wordpress.com)
- Lanvin at Printemps Store, Paris (soletravelingmama.com)
- #ThrowbackFashion Ensemble, 1950 by Pauline Trigère (American, born France, 1908 – 2002) (duccnguyen.wordpress.com)
- 125 years of LANVIN! (blabazaar.com)
- Lanvin Signs Men’s Running Shoes (extravaganzi.com)
- Lanvin’s Big, High-Tech 125th Anniversary Plans (fashionweekdaily.com)