Vogue cover girl Anna Ewers stars in “Ouch! That’s big”, the inaugural film of our new series of original shorts bringing together celebrated film-makers with Vogue’s inimitable style. Directed by influential directing collective CANADA, with a nod to French new-wave cinema and Sixties science fiction, Ewers interacts with a series of selves all roaming the Barcelona cityscape. Think Barbarella wearing Gucci, then multiplied.
Alexander McQueen, born 1969 – died 2010
Asymmetrical dress made of black and white “tweed-woven” rayon. The bodice is off the shoulders and sleeveless. The waist is gathered on an elastic band. The skirt flares on one side only and is longer and pointed at the back.
Length: 130 cm, Width: 89 cm
also called the “Raffia Dress”
Historical significance: An interpretation of Balenciaga‘s geometrical cut. Interesting new version of British traditional tweed. This dress is also called the “Raffia Dress” because of the physical aspect of the fabric.
By deconstructing the dress’s traditional silhouette Alexander McQueen challenges tradition. Here McQueen employs a sculptural shape that while exquisitely constructed, emphasises a disconcerting asymmetry. Thus in McQueen’s hands the dress has moved well beyond a conventional interpretation of a wardrobe staple. McQueen graduated from Central St. Martin’s School of Art in 1992, before launching his own label in 1994. He has developed a reputation for imaginative, bold design, which is combined with an in-depth knowledge of tailoring, owing to the training he received at the Savile Row tailor Anderson & Sheppard.
- 20 Intimate Photos Of Alexander McQueen At Work (fastcodesign.com)
- Nick Waplington/Alexander McQueen: Working Process (1stangel.co.uk)
- V&A show to celebrate work of Alexander McQueen (itv.com)
- Top three ways to visit a museum without leaving home (wallflowerwisdom.com)
- The beauty of Alexander McQueen… (thewitcontinuum.wordpress.com)
- Men’s essentials: what to wear on a casual Friday (fashionising.com)
- Louboutin Love (amilliongoals.wordpress.com)
- Kate Moss for Alexander McQueen Spring Summer 2014 (designscene.net)
- V&A to Bring ‘Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty’ Exhibition to London (businessoffashion.com)
- When Fashion Sponsorship Works (businessoffashion.com)
Roberts & Carroll Riding habit
Dimensions: Length at CB (a): 28 in. (71.1 cm) Length (b): 39 in. (99.1 cm)
Here are some creative projects that inspire me in The Metropolitan Museum of Art – The Costume Institute’s Collection. You can see other projects on my Pinterest or on my #ThrowbackFashion.
Date: ca. 1966
Dimensions: (a) L. at center back 39 in. (99.1 cm) (b) L. 25 in. (63.5 cm)