Cocktail dress, 1936 by Madeleine Vionnet @Vionnet_1912 (French, Chilleurs-aux-Bois 1876–1975 Paris)
Reconnu comme l’unique festival spécialisé dans le créneau du film sur l’art en Amérique, et en tant que le plus important de sa catégorie au monde, le Festival International du Film sur l’Art (FIFA) est devenu, au fil des ans, un leader sur la scène culturelle internationale.
For its spring-summer 2015 advertisements, Valentino designers Maria Grazia Chiuri and Pierpaolo Piccioli have chosen Michal Pudelka of Slovakia. This is the photographer’s first international campaign and features an ethereal take on the new collection. via fashiongonerogue.com
Alexander McQueen, born 1969 – died 2010
Asymmetrical dress made of black and white “tweed-woven” rayon. The bodice is off the shoulders and sleeveless. The waist is gathered on an elastic band. The skirt flares on one side only and is longer and pointed at the back.
Length: 130 cm, Width: 89 cm
also called the “Raffia Dress”
Historical significance: An interpretation of Balenciaga‘s geometrical cut. Interesting new version of British traditional tweed. This dress is also called the “Raffia Dress” because of the physical aspect of the fabric.
By deconstructing the dress’s traditional silhouette Alexander McQueen challenges tradition. Here McQueen employs a sculptural shape that while exquisitely constructed, emphasises a disconcerting asymmetry. Thus in McQueen’s hands the dress has moved well beyond a conventional interpretation of a wardrobe staple. McQueen graduated from Central St. Martin’s School of Art in 1992, before launching his own label in 1994. He has developed a reputation for imaginative, bold design, which is combined with an in-depth knowledge of tailoring, owing to the training he received at the Savile Row tailor Anderson & Sheppard.
- 20 Intimate Photos Of Alexander McQueen At Work (fastcodesign.com)
- Nick Waplington/Alexander McQueen: Working Process (1stangel.co.uk)
- V&A show to celebrate work of Alexander McQueen (itv.com)
- Top three ways to visit a museum without leaving home (wallflowerwisdom.com)
- The beauty of Alexander McQueen… (thewitcontinuum.wordpress.com)
- Men’s essentials: what to wear on a casual Friday (fashionising.com)
- Louboutin Love (amilliongoals.wordpress.com)
- Kate Moss for Alexander McQueen Spring Summer 2014 (designscene.net)
- V&A to Bring ‘Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty’ Exhibition to London (businessoffashion.com)
- When Fashion Sponsorship Works (businessoffashion.com)
Evening dress and sleeve
Christian Lacroix, born 1951
This spectacular dress was given to the Victoria and Albert Museum very shortly after its first appearance on Lacroix’s catwalk in the autumn 1996 Paris fashion shows.
Christian Lacroix opened his haute couture house in 1986. His luxurious fashions, typified by this hooped evening dress, reflect an abiding passion for historical styles, ornate textiles, and elaborate decoration, all of which he translates in a contemporary idiom.
In a striking palette of acidic yellow and pastels, the dress forms part of Lacroix’s “18th-Century Haute Couture Collection,” which draws on a wide range of pre-1968 fashion references. Lacroix describes this collection as elegant and slightly dishevelled: “Nothing seems to be held in place. The fabric is wrapped. It pirouettes around obstinately asymmetrical necklines.”
Place of Origin: Paris, France (made)
Date: 1996 (designed)
Artist/maker: Lacroix, Christian, born 1951 (designer)
Materials and Techniques: Chiné-printed silk taffeta and lace, embroidered with sequins, pastes and beads
Dimensions: [Evening dress] Length: 150 cm, Circumference: 70 cm bust, Circumference: 62 cm waist, Circumference: 170 cm hoop, maximum
- Lacroix to Design Special Collection for Schiaparelli (runway.blogs.nytimes.com)
- The Gorgeous Haute Couture by Abed Mahfouz 2015 (fashiondivadesign.com)
- Paris Haute Couture autumn/winter 2013 (fashion.telegraph.co.uk)
- Hotels for Fashion Week (foxnews.com)
- Paris Haute Couture: Chanel spring/summer 2013 (dailyrecord.co.uk)
- Adriana Lima Rocks the Desigual Spring 2015 Runway Show (fashiongonerogue.com)
- Couture history goes under the hammer at Christie’s (guardian.co.uk)
- You: How Christian Lacroix Went Bust (newsweek.com)
- Christian Lacroix Brings Elsa Schiaparelli Back to Life (thefashionistyle.com)
- Christian Lacroix: ‘I am not nostalgic for the past’ (guardian.co.uk)