Materials and Techniques: Gelatin-silver print
Richard Avedon has transformed fashion photography and portraiture alike, creating an instantly identifiable aesthetic which has influenced countless others. His ‘signature’ large format studio portraits of politicians, writers and artists render the sitters “symbolic of themselves”, as he put it. His use of stark white backgrounds and life-size printing places viewers in a new relationship to the photographic image – a physical and almost confrontational one. His ability to create visual tension and surprise through unexpected contrasts is unparalleled.
Martin Munkacsi. The Pudle Jumper 1934
- Celebrating Martin Munkacsi (fansinaflashbulb.wordpress.com)
- Vacation photo inspiration: The works of Martin Munkácsi (surroundedfashionblog.wordpress.com)
- Amazing Fashion Photography by Martin Munkacsi from between 1930s and 1940s (vintag.es)
- Richard Avedon: A Beacon of Brilliance (and Hope!) (rcarterphoto.wordpress.com)
- From the Collection – The Rivals (Little Kittens) by Mihály Munkácsy (mam.org)
- Beautiful Photos of Marilyn Monroe Photographed by Richard Avedon, 1957 (vintag.es)
- Richard Avedon Photography (monet360.net)
- Happy Birthday Richard Avedon (waldina.com)
- Richard Avedon – THE inspiration (evazgytephoto.wordpress.com)
- Hepburn’s granddaughter a fashion muse (dailytelegraph.com.au)
Here are some creative projects that inspire me in The Metropolitan Museum of Art – The Costume Institute’s Collection. You can see other projects on my Pinterest or on my #ThrowbackFashion.